Because I can never get out a full thought without being interrupted-- and it makes me want to kill someone...

Friday, March 18, 2011

Discourse Interrupted

The primary motive and function for this blog is to allow me to-- as one would assume one would be capable of executing during the flow of normal discourse-- fully air my thoughts, opinions and sentiments.
Fully.
Notice that? That means without anyone busting into my sentence, their verbal guns blazing with particles and rhetoric.

Perhaps it's just me, and for why god only knows, but I tend to, while speaking, have the occasional pause or break for not only my own benefit, but also for the listeners. Dress it in whatever elaborate garb you wish but the end result is still the same, it is a second for listeners to ingest and process what you are saying to further your point and their understanding of it, a break for emphasis and to further engage the audience into whatever it may be you are saying. Spinning the tale, if you will. A pause for dramatic effect.
For some odd reason people think this means they can start talking in that briefest of milliseconds, even if the pause is simply my searching for the appropriate word, and high-jack the conversation despite it being obvious that I hadn't finished what I was saying.
No motherfucker. No. It isn't your turn to speak yet, so shut the fuck up.

It seems to me that I, and a select few others, are truly irritated by being interrupted while they're speaking. It's rude, disrespectful and highly egotistical. The funny thing is that everyone knows when they're doing it and everyone knows better yet still they persist. We all know when it is and isn't appropriate or expected-- the heated quarrel will, of course, abound with cut off thoughts, sentences and sentiments. But normal conversation or an excited conversation, is it so much to ask for you to hold your tongue? I do. To the point where it drives me mad, mad as the person opposite me sits talking on and on about whatever it may be, cutting off other people, continuing to banter and banter--

Leaving persons such as myself who sit patiently and politely through their banter waiting for them to conclude themselves so that I may respond in my own turn.

And then they never do.
A friend of mine at my uni is probably the most notorious for this, he has on numerous occasions asked me a question-- to which he requests a deep and intricate response-- only to cut me off half a sentence into my reply to either correct me [correct me on a reply dealing with my emotional reaction to something or other, that is] or he begins telling me of his own experiences and sentiments towards the topic of conversation. I don't believe he entirely comprehends how deeply and infuriatingly this drags the craggy nails of irritation down the chalkboard of my nerves.

This is, of course, his worst. Normally he simply talks for ages, perpetually banging his verbal hammer upon the anvil of the same topic, constantly interrupting people, telling them they're wrong. And I simply just. don't. care.

Naturally there is a rate of increase in relation to this irritation on being interrupted. The less I know the person, the less it irritates me. But I remember it. It seeds itself in my carefully kept garden of hate to bloom into a seething rage the more I see them and get to know them.

Why is this so difficult? Does everyone simply adore their voice so to the point that they become aroused by the sweet melody to the point that they need to break off anything anyone else is saying and overlay their vocals? Half the time I have witnessed entire conversations that are nothing but people interrupting each other-- a knot of snakes consuming each others tails.

The point of this blog is for me to remove myself from this cannibalistic hoard. I'm tired of hearing "I'm sorry, you were saying...?" because some self absorbed cuntwrapsupreme couldn't shut the fuck up for five seconds so I can say something. The conversation topic has swayed to something I care about, congratulations, now stop commandeering it. If you wanted to carry on so long, perhaps politics would suit you better.

I can easily see how people may view the reason for originating this blog as equally egotistical. I feel my thoughts so worthy and righteous that I must immortalize them on the pixels of the internet, give them private sanctum.
No, no not really. I'm just tired of being interrupted. If people want to come here and read my thoughts and opinions, they are free to. It is their choice. I am not interrupting their day, their dialogue, their life, they are choosing to partake and read. Should they tire of it, they are free to click that shiny little red 'X' whenever they please.

I am also equally tired of people asking me how my day is and saying "Oh, pretty good" or "Well, not dead yet" because I know they don't honestly give a two penny fuck how I am. So, again, those who harbor interest are free to read. Those who don't, won't.
And I...I am free to speak at length and fully unfold the swimmings of my mind and cut the line of tension from my day-- expunge it from my person-- by scribing it here.

So there is your introduction. Your sample if you will. Your origin. Your finger dipped into the cream pie for a taste test.
Stick around if you like.
Go fly a kite if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment